[K12OSN] switch advice: Netgear or 3com

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Mon Sep 27 06:05:35 UTC 2004

dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:

> I have the prior version of the Netgear 48 port switch (3 in fact),
> the one without the browser-based management and have not had any
> issues. (In fact, we have almost identical server hardware, dual Gig
> E, etc.)   Performance is very acceptable.  The only caveat is that I
> can't get sound working consistently, but that is probably just me
> (using LTSP 3, not 4, K12ltsp 3.1.2, not 4.x) and when it works, it
> lags the video.  With the QOS options on the new switch, plus vlan, I
> wish I had the new netgear.  In over a year's use, we haven't had to
> deliberately reset the switches ever.  For what it is worth, there are
> some netgear switches on ebay as well. (24 port and 48 port).
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Dave Hopkins

Thanks for the info. I'll take that as a plus for the netgear. One
concern I have is the warranty on the Netgear. The switch itself is 5
years but the power supply is only 2 years. The 3com is 3 years for the
unit.

One other option I'm considering is the 3com 2250 unmanaged 48 + 2 gig e
port switch. It is a about $70 more than the netgear but no management
at all. At least the fs750t netgear has browser based management.

Robert Arkiletian