[K12OSN] Firewall

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Sep 27 21:13:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 03:57:28PM -0500, Mark Cockrell wrote:
> This may be a bit off topic, and if so I apologize for that.  Our school
> is currently running a proprietary firewall, and it's no longer meeting
> out needs.  I'd like to upgrade but, naturally, have very little in the
> way of budget.  Can anyone recommend a solid firewall that provides
> stateful packet inspection, VPNs, IP Tunnels, multiple IP aliases and
> inbound and outbound packet filtering for about 500 -1000 concurrent
> connections?  And, of course, if it's Free and Open Source, so much the
> better.  I'm not asking for much, am I?

Hi Mark, Many commercial firewall appliances are simply Linux installed
in a small box, running IPTables with some smart scripting around it, so
yes, you can build a "nearly free" Linux based firewall system that will
do all the things you mentioned above.

Two Linux distros designed to do this, that I can think of off the top
of my head are "ipcop' and "smoothwall"

http://www.ipcop.org/
http://www.smoothwall.org/

I'm sure there are others as well.

--
Linux/Open Source.  Now all your base belongs to you, for free.