[K12OSN] switch advice: Netgear or 3com

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Sep 27 23:36:31 UTC 2004

I tend to agree with Norbert on this one.  If the vendor's advertising
"works with Linux" on their packaging, then I would expect the same
functionality as, say, using the device in a Windows-based system, and
the same level of support as for a Windows-based system.

Les has a point about vendors teaching configuration, but I don't see
that as the issue here.  For example, I don't expect Cisco to teach me
how to properly design a switched network.  However, I do expect Cisco's
switches to work with our preexisting boxes out there, of various types,
including the Macs.  One example:  the Catalyst 3500XL works beautifully
out of the box with DHCP-speaking Apple Macintoshes as well as with
IBM-compats, like just about every other switch out there.  However, the
Catalyst 3550 does not!  You have to do special tweaks to that switch to
get it to work right w/ the Macs.  This turned out to be a bug in the
Catalyst 3550 IOS (I forget the bug ID--it's been over a year), which
was fixed in subsequent IOS releases.

Were Cisco, in this scenario, to have told us, "Oh, you've got to pay
yet extra on top of the promised support since you're running Macs and
not Windows PCs," then they'd have lost a big customer in a hurry.
Never did they say that they made a special exception for Macs in any of
their literature.  If you say you work with a given product, then that
means that you work with a given product, and unless otherwise
explicitly told, the support needs to be the same for that product as
the other ones that a vendor supports.

I sure won't buy Netgear after hearing this.  Amer.com is looking better
and better...and they're quite familiar with K12LTSP already.

--TP