[K12OSN] Changed Icons -- Strange!!

bimal pandit bimalp at indoasian.com
Thu Sep 30 11:45:49 UTC 2004

hello Matt,David and steve

thanks for the reply.

 --- bimal pandit <bimalp at indoasian.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Yesterday, i had an unexpected problem as ...
>
> when i logged in as a normal user, to my surprise i
> found that the icons
> on my desktop has been changed!!,  they have become
> as a paper shape
> with a turn at one of the corner(bookmark type)while
> earlier i had users
> home, trash, start here,nautilus etc. all looking as
> their original
> icons, the thing is how it has happened and why that
> too without my
> knowledge...
>
> now in this situation i would like to know :-
>
> 1) what has happened(seems some gnome conf file has
> changed!! ... my
> view)
>
> 2) why it has happened??, is that normal?? has
> someone also faced the
> same situation??
>
> 3) how may i get back the original settings(icons)??
>
> 4) Preventive measure to be followed.
>
> any other info or suggestions are always welcomed.
>
> i am using redhat 9, gnome 2.2

suggestion from Matt Johnson
----------------------------
My Debian box did this, this week. It was because I
was logged on as the same user twice on the same box
(via two different xterminals using xdmcp). If you're
not doing this, it may still be something to do with
locking of directories or similar?

suggestion from David N. Trask
------------------------------
Have you recently switched between kdm and gdm?  If so that's what did
it for me last time.....simply deleting the gconfd file in the users
home directly managed to get me back in business.

suggestion from Steve
---------------------
I had this happen, and I googled quite a bit, but could not find a
solution.  It was some kind of gnome theme problem, and I ended up
reinstalling.  If you go to preferences > theme and can't get the theme
preferences box to come up, it's likely you're in the same situation.

No Luck yet!!, also all the icons from the main/start menu also has
lost, and when i do Main --> Preference --> Theme  i get this error

"the default theme schemes could not be found on,this means that you
probably don't have metacity installed or your gconf is configured
incorrectly"

i deleted .gconf,gconfd,.metacity and at next login they got created but
the situation remained the same.....

hope to get some more suggestions.

regards

bimal pandit