[K12OSN] Release cycle too fast

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Apr 1 14:12:25 UTC 2005

When you consider that "an application" isn't really a single entity but rather  a
collection of files--the main executables, myriad support libraries, drivers,
etc.--updating even just one application isn't updating just one thing.  And very often,
those support libraries and drivers are used by more than one application--that's the
point of an operating system.  So, a problem is found in one of the libraries, and a new
version is created that fixes the problem.  But that change may mean that some
applications have to also be changed to work with the new library.  Most distros come
with more than 2000 applications, many inter-related. And many/most of those
applications are being further developed. In some ways, it's amazing they don't release
new versions more often than they do.

Having said that, you don't need to upgrade the whole OS just to keep, for example, SSH
current.  You DO have to step outside the automated tools the Distro vendor provides,
and go to installing the packages manually, but on a 'older' system that is relatively
static--that is, you're not adding additional functionality--that's not that hard.  I
have some RH 8 boxes in which we just upgrade the SSH package as necessary.

If you want to buy 'tires' for your more-than-two-year-old system, and 'buy' is the key
word here, check out progeny.com.  For $60 per year per box, they will provide patches
for your Red Hat 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, systems, and other custom platforms for a fee.  For a
business, it's a pretty good deal.  If you want FREE updates you have to go where free
stuff is available, and that means things like Fedora.  Perhaps linux usage will some
day reach a critical mass such that there will be enough people involved that there will
be some interested in continually maintaining older distributions for free.  But I
suspect that day is a ways off yet.

Petre