Re: [K12OSN] Sharing a life-saving command

Kevin Matson wrote:
Per the manual page this command sets the security context on files. The
"-R /" made it recurse throughout your entire file system. My questions
to the gurus is what does the restorecon command reference against when
it is setting security contexts?

The SELinux policy files are located in /etc/selinux/

-Eric

Kevin M.

-------------------------

Kevin Matson
IT - Lab Team
kmatson pps k12 or us
503-916-2000 x4960
503-916-3375

Portland Public Schools

aahodson episd org 03/31/05 5:51 PM >>>

Hi folks

After a K12LTSP 4.2 yum update, and some minor tweaks, one of the
servers that is heavily used at a middle school I work with
(keyboarding) started behaving very strangly giving me on reboot
'portmap errors while loading shared libraries' leading to more
permission denied errors, nfs quota errors, and many more!

Long story short - as root I was able to execute

restorecon -R /

and while it took quite a while, the next reboot came up roses. Perhaps
some of our gurus can explain what this command does - all I know is
today it was a life saver for me, and I wanted to share it with the
group.

Cheers

Alan A Hodson MEd. oF: 915-587-1170 fX: 915-587-1161 aahodson episd org http://links.episd.org . . . " If we teach today's students as we taught yesterdays, we rob them of tomorrow " . . . . John Dewey -=o=-