[K12OSN] Seeking advice and help combining K12LTSP, OpenMosix and ThinStat

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Fri Apr 8 13:28:20 UTC 2005

Jon Spriggs <jon.spriggs at gmail.com> on Friday, April 8, 2005 at 3:55 AM
+0000 wrote:
>As I also mentioned, I may need to provide access to
>Windows Servers from the local desktop, rather than authenticating
>into a Linux server, and then open RDesktop - hence my intention to
>use the Thinstation project.

I don't understand your hesitation on using rdesktop....we use it here
with kids as low as grade 1.  They log into Linux and then click a menu
item in IceWM and it takes them to the Windows Server where they simply
enter their password.  I have filled in the domain for them as part of the
rdesktop command and the username carries from their Linux session.  Since
the K12LTSP server is also the PDC and the Windows Terminal Server is a
member of the domain....the users are one in the same.  Piece of
cake....if little kids can handle it...anyone should be able to.
Also...it truly fires off a seperate session hence there is no CPU usage
on the LTSP box while using a Win Term session.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us