Re: [K12OSN] k12ltsp 4.2.0 smp crash after yum update

I had a file server with FC3 and kernel 2.6.1-1.6-smp after an up2date update with a new kernel 2.6.1-1.770-smp the whole system crashed also. Even if i returned to an earlier kernel, the system was still crashing. Must be something also in one of the updates. Ended up reinstalling FC3. No just trying to salvage the raid 5 disk info. :(
SteveG
----- Original Message ----- From: <mrok12osn eastgranby k12 ct us>
To: <k12osn redhat com>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 2:02 PM
Subject: [K12OSN] k12ltsp 4.2.0 smp crash after yum update

We just received a new Dell PowerEdge 2800 with two processors.  I
installed Fedora 3 onto it from the k12ltsp 4.2.0 CD's to build a squid
system and all worked well.  I then did a yum update and reboot.  I am
using the graphical interface on the console(level 5).  Very quickly after
I log in, the system crashes with the 2.6.10-1.770_FC3smp kernel.  It does
not crash with the non smp kernel.

I reinstalled from the CD's again and did a selective yum update, adding
everything except the updates that begin with xorg-x11.  Now the server no
longer crashes with the smp kernel.

This server uses a Radeon 7000 video chip and when I google, there seem to
be lots of references to smp problems, but earlier in fedora 3
development.   What can I do to resolve the problem?

Also, I noticed that when using the 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 kernel, either smp or
non smp, the time is set 4 hour earlier than the hardware time on this
server.  I can reset the time after boot up, but when I reboot again, the
time is incorrect.  This does not occur with the 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 kernels.
Help?

Mark Orenstein
East Granby, CT School System