Re: [K12OSN] Regressions after yum update

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 mrok12osn eastgranby k12 ct us wrote:

Hi Eric,

I have downloaded the test xorg-x11 packages but cannot test them until I
get into school on Monday.  I will let you know.

Regarding hwclock, the work around of adding the line

CLOCKFLAGS="--directisa"

to /etc/sysconfig/clock does work on our Dell PowerEdge 2800.

Can I also ask a question.  In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit on about line 242,
there is a test for the existence of /etc/sysconfig/clock.

if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/clock ]; then
  . /etc/sysconfig/clock

What does the "." on the second line do? There is a space after it.

" . " is short-hand for "source", which you can think of as an "include" statement. ;-)

From the bash man page:

. filename [arguments] source filename [arguments] Read and execute commands from filename in the current shell environment and return the exit status of the last command exe- cuted from filename. If filename does not contain a slash, file names in PATH are used to find the directory containing filename. The file searched for in PATH need not be exe- cutable. When bash is not in posix mode, the current directory is searched if no file is found in PATH. If the sourcepath option to the shopt builtin command is turned off, the PATH is not searched. If any arguments are supplied, they become the positional parameters when filename is executed. Otherwise the positional parameters are unchanged. The return status is the status of the last command exited within the script (0 if no commands are executed), and false if filename is not found or cannot be read.

-Eric