Re: [K12OSN] users kicked out on 4.2.1

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

Dear Folks,
	after upgrading my 3.2.0 production server to 4.2.1 (pre), I
started experiencing sudden user logouts and station inability to get a
login screen. This looks as if the MaxSessions in gdm.conf was
too low, but the bad behavior continues after changing this number from
250 to 2500 and rebooting. What am I missing here? The users are beginning
to riot.
thanks, julius

Since you did an upgrade, there is a chance that something is wrong with the SELinux config. Try turning off SELinux enforcing mode by running this command:

echo 0 > /selinux/enforce

If that makes your problem go away, you can either permanently turn off enforcing or relabel the file system.

To change the SELinux behavor, edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and reboot.

To relabel the filesystem, this should do the trick:

restorecon -R /

If turning off SELinux doesn't fix it, can you provide us with a little more info? Otherwise we're mostly just guessing.

* contents of /var/log/gdm/*.log
* your config (one NIC or two NICs, etc)
* unusual output from "dmesg"
* anything interesting in /var/log/messages, /var/log/secure, etc.

-Eric