Re: [K12OSN] LTSP, WINE, RDesktop & Sound

(Dave, you're still double-posting, FYI. Or perhaps that's intentional and you need it that way (?))

David Trask wrote:
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 at 3:07 PM +0000 wrote:

I did a search of the archives and found nothing so here it goes....

We have approximately 120 Windows 2000 computers that are mostly Dell Optiplexes. They have lots of memory and are running as well as can be expected. The network is 100 Mbit. And we'll be connecting the switches to the LTSP servers with Gigabit uplinks. So bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. Servers will be dual processor Opterons with lots of RAM. So we have lots of processing power.

My concern is providing sound to the LTSP clients. And specifically for providing sound for a few Windows applications that just won't go away. What am I up against here?

My options for running these Windows apps are either WINE or RDesktop w/ Windows Terminal Server.

Thanks,
Casey Woods

We run rdesktop with Win 2003 terminal server....no sound as anything we
need sound for is in Linux.  We simply run M$ Office as another offering
in Terminal Server.  I have tried sound in rdesktop, but it's so slow that
it's unusable.  WINE may work better as the app will work on the LTSP
server, but no promises.  What are the programs that you need to run?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us