[K12OSN] OT: Question about my laptop...XP, Fedora, Ubuntu and GRUB

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Thu Apr 14 18:10:28 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I currently have a new laptop (HP zv5000) and I am dual booting right now
with XP and K12LTSP 4.2 (Fedora Core 3).  I'm really having fun with the
new Hoary Hedgehog version of Kubuntu and Ubuntu.  Many of the things I
can't get to work in FC3 will work in Unbuntu.  So...what I want to do is
blow away FC3 and load Ubuntu.  I imagine if I use a partition tool and
delete the partitions that FC lives on I should be able to simply put in
the Ubuntu install disk and go for it....but I wonder about GRUB....will
GRUB be automatically overwritten to reflect the new Ubuntu install...or
will it at least show up as a choice and thus I can at least boot to
Ubuntu and edit out the old stuff?  Any tips and pointers appreciated....I
need to preserve the Windows side for now...but want to use Ubuntu or
Kubuntu instead of FC3....

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School