Re: [K12OSN] Mobile Wireless Lab?

Hi Jon    ,
Thanks for the help.

I got one of my D-Link DWL-650+ wireless pcmcia cards running under Ubuntu today. The device manager says that it is using the acx_pci driver. Which is exactly what I feared since it isn't one of the modules available under Thinstation and I'm guessing LTSP as well.

Building Thinstation is easy enough. I'm trying to wrap my head around how to get the ACX100 module into the build so that I can give it a go.

Anybody have any thoughts on how to get this driver (http://acx100.sourceforge.net) working under either LTSP or Thinstation? Or a way to net boot one of these guys?

Thanks,
Casey Woods

Jon Spriggs wrote:

I asked on the thinstation-general list, and got the following answer...

Hope it helps :)

Jon

TechFan <lists sf net ourholm net> wrote:

I have gotten wireless PCMCIA network cards working as of last week.  I
hadn't tried much before because unless I could encrypt it with WPA, it
wasn't an option in my environment.  I finally was officially asked to
get wireless working for a specific user and since I really wanted to
keep with a totally thinstation environment in that department, I
decided it was time to at least try to get it working.  I had to find a
802.11g card (more often support WPA) that could have a linux driver and
I ended up picking Atheros based network cards (they use the open source
madwifi support (can work in rc2, but should be working in rc3), but I
still haven't look at the details of the settings it has available
(though I need to include it for the tools) since I wanted to use
driver).  Pieter had previously created a wireless package and fixed
PCMCIAunsupported WPA encryption which I only remember possibly one
other person mentioning they had used before with thinstation.  I had to
recompile the kernel and compile the madwifi driver against the TS
source and and wpa_supplicant against the madwifi source, but I did get
it working just last week.  Since it requires the kernel to be
recompiled (only 3 checkmarks need to be changed - Crypto API and two of
the sub-options which I made Modules), it probably won't make it into
the general release and thus a package wouldn't be that helpful (and I
don't know how to create one anyway - with dependencies, etc).