Re: [K12OSN] YUM Error

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Mike Kanfer wrote:

I am trying to update a new install of Fedora 3.  When I rnu YUM -y
update, I receive an error that says..

Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base.

This is a new install.  I have used these CD's on another machine and
update works fine.

Thanks for your help.

The config file this is /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo

How this works is that yum retrieves the file specified in the mirrorlist
parameter (http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-3 for FC3)
and picks out one of the URLs to use as the baseurl.

If you can't fetch http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-3
it will get the "Cannot find a valid baseurl" error.

This likely to be a symptom of a problem, rather than the problem itself.

Try using wget to fetch the mirrorlist file:

wget http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-3

That may give you more useful error messages.

Double check that your DNS is correct:

	host www.google.com
	host fedora.redhat.com

-Eric