[K12OSN] Given this situation, why bother continue with LTSP?

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 22:20:35 UTC 2005

How about adding Windows Terminal Server if people in
the congregation really want Windows?  That way people
will have their choice of what to use.  You keep the
thin client setup the way it is, and the users can
ctrl-alt-f2 to get to the windows server.

If the donor has access to it, I'd prefer to get a
bunch of 19" LCD monitors to use on the thin clients.

Another thought is you could accept the generous gift
of all those Windows desktops, but don't get rid of
the Linux ones.  You maintain the Linux system and let
other volunteers maintain the Windows system.  See
which system gets more use after a year of viruses and
spyware.

You're not there to dictate to the congregation what
they should use, so you're gonna have to get Windows
if they really can't be talked out of it.  But it
might be a blessing in disguise to have Windows
machines sitting next to Linux machines -- you might
win over a bunch of new converts.

As a side note, I have been slowly transitioning my
family members to linux, because I am tired of helping
them scan for spyware, etc.  My sister was the
toughest one to convince.  But the other day, my
sister's friend started asking me about linux because
my sister is now apparently recommending it to people!

-Rob