Re: [K12OSN] Given this situation, why bother continue with LTSP?

Timothy Legge wrote:

george kocke wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 14:53, The Prof wrote:

Administration:  Currently with a linux lab I am the only one who can
administer it because no one knows how or is interested in this
'new-fangled stuff'. If it was a Windows lab, that responsiblity could
be spread out among at least a few people who have this ability,
lightening my load. In addition, most of the admin/setup/etc. is done
for free as we volunteer our time.  So it isn't like we'd cost more
because of the increased work to them :)

This is a common argument for using only Microsoft software. I was just today arguing with a friend who works as a sysadmin at a very rich private school. Aside from simply being able to afford to be an all Microsoft shop, one of the reasons they stick with it is so that nearly anyone will be able to work on the network should something happen to him. I think that's a horrible way to think as it leads to mediocrity.

That argument may have been valid 10 years ago, but not any longer.

Just because anyone can "administer" windows doesn't mean that anyone should be allowed. I have known a good many "anyones" that I would not trust with a vic 20 (showing my age I know...)

HEY! Those make EXCELLENT Robot Brains!!!!

Doug

Tim