[K12OSN] OSX Help

I'm sure I could google this question, and come up with a solution, but I thought I'd pose the question to folks that have similar setups to me.

I currently use a linux box to share home directories via SAMBA, NFS, and Netatalk. I have an NIS domain that I use for authentication.

Is there an elegant way to use the standard OSX login/security system to interact with such a setup? I don't want to have to install any proprietary OSX server stuff -- just to be able to use the regular OSX security, but have a login that mounts a /home share.

I'm new in the world of OSX, so be gentle... :)

Thanks for any pointers,
-Shawn