[K12OSN] Ubuntu question quick - Dave?

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Fri Apr 22 03:39:53 UTC 2005

Jim,

Not sure if you solved this, but you can enable the ability to log in via
gdm as root.  In the GUI....in Gnome...in the Security tab in Login prefs
you can check a box to allow root to log in.  Be sure to set the password
first with sudo passwd root.  Sorry so slow getting back to you....I was
in Boston (again) this time for R&R with the family....took in a Red Sox
game and so forth.  Bought a couple Linux Books at Borders though.  Bought
the O'Reilly "Knoppix Hacks" as I want to learn more about rolling my own
version.  I also got a book on Debian as I plan to start exploring that a
lot more.

musicman <datakid at gmail.com> on Thursday, April 21, 2005 at 8:59 PM +0000
wrote:
>I've always found that running from  sudo was "good practice", and
>root/su should be used as rarely as possible, adn I think they've
>taken that line - although the merit's of it are not universally
>accepted, I guess....it's probably a good way to be - I've thought of
>it as linux showing windows "how it's done" - people have to
>consciously move to sudo to do anything,
>hence, security is watertight....
>L.
>
>On 4/22/05, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:
>> > looks like use a normal acct then sudo with no root pw unkess you
>> > want to add one
>>
>> Thanks Chuck.  I found out that if I run sudo passwd root with a
>standard
>> account I can enable a root password and it works.
>>
>> Musicman, I guess I don't really mind this being set this way.  It just
>throws
>> you for a quick loop when you get started.  As long as it is made known
>it
>> shouldn't be a problem.  But I guess I don't really get how the Ubuntu
>guys
>> think this is added security, although I am sure they have their
>reasons.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School