Re: [K12OSN] Given this situation, why bother continue with LTSP?

Dear Joseph,

Regarding your idea to dual-boot your windows machines...

First I tried the option where you change the BIOS to make the PC boot to the network first (K12ltsp), and if you want windows you just hit the esc key to abort the network boot. However, even though it worked, it seemed a bit 'messy' and I found this option better:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2005-April/msg00541.html

(see my ecstatic response when I found that it actually worked https://listman.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2004-December/msg00594.html)

It brings up a menu at start-up giving you a certain amount of time (you can set the time) to decide if you want to boot k12 or windows.

Another thing to mention is that I was brought up on Macs while studying graphic design, converted to windows (what a dark day that was!) after my mac crashed one too many times (in the days b4 OSX), and knew nothing about Linux until June/July last year. I'm now teaching Year4 (not just ICT but *everything*) three days a week and have Thursday as ICT teacher/co-ordinator and Friday as tech/fix-it support.

This post has been great to read with many gems of wisdom that I will be quoting in future to support this 'gospel' (K12LTSP is good news!).

Best regards,

Debbie
--
http://www.redeemer.qld.edu.au/

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 15:23 -0500, Doug Simpson wrote:
> Actually, if you don't need floppy access on those computers (and even if
> you do it is still doable. . .put the boot floppy into the floppy drive,
> slide the floppy drive back into the case and put the blanker back in.
> \
> Out of sight - out of mind!
>
> Works for me!

Alternately, you can install the boot image on the harddrive. It is a
different image, but works and you don't need much of a hard drive for
it. This can also be used to dual-boot the machine. Way-back in the list
archives (or maybe on the LTSP archive) someone successfully did this.

I figure a floppy is more likely to go bad than an hd, especially with
infrequent use.

JSR/