Re: [K12OSN] How to launch an LTSP session from a dedicated Linux box?

I can think of two approaches:

1. Run Xnest on the client. I think the syntax is something like

Xnest :1 -indirect ltspserver

where ltspserver is the name of your, uh, LTSP server. I do this on my wife's laptop. The laptop is running Xandros where she runs Firefox so that sound works consistently. But sometimes she needs to get to our terminal server, so I gave her an icon that calls the above. It brings up the terminal server login screen within a window.

2. Use VNCviewer to connect to the VNC server on the LTSP server which is launched vi xinetd.

HTH.

Petre

David Trask wrote:
I feel ridiculous, but I'm drawing a blank....I tried X -query
192.168.0.254 &  and that didn't work....here's what I'm trying to do.

I'm playing around with rolling my own Live CD....I'm using PCLinuxOS as
my base and thus far I've been able to easily and successfully roll my own
live bootable CD.  What I want to do is have icons on the desktop for the
user to launch either a Windows Terminal Server session or an LTSP
session.  They boot the computer (terminal) via the Live CD....then they
can either run a few things locally, like firefox....or they can click on
an icon and go into their regular LTSP or WinTerm session.  I've gotten
the redesktop thing to work fine, but having trouble figuring out how to
launch an LTSP session from an already running Linux box (aka currently
running X server).  If I use the command from above it tells me that the
display is already open....and of course as I'm running a session
currently on the local machine....any ideas on how to do this?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us