[K12OSN] single user for samba/ldap PDC

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 14:52:40 UTC 2005

Randall Swift wrote:
> I have done away with with my windows domain controller and replaced
> it using a Samba/LDAP server (using David Trask instructions).
> Everything has gone smoothly so far. I generated 1200 users with the
> bulk user add script and created groups. The problem I need help (and
> I should know this) with is what are the terminal commands to create
> a single user and put them into an existing group. Also how do I
> create a user with administrator privelages across the domain?
>
> I also would like my k12ltsp box to authenticate to this new server. I
> have run authconfig but I am not sure which of the settings I am
> suppose to choose. Thanks for the help.
>
> Randy Swift
> Network Administrator
> Leavitt Area High School
> Turner, Maine 04282
> (207)225-3533
> swift at msad52.k12.me.us

I've been looking into adding single users and I've found a few solutions.
The first is to use Webmin (www.webmin.com) this has a LDAP user section
which will allow you to add users. Another is LAM (LDAP account manager -
http://lam.sourceforge.net/) this is really good, you'll need apache & php
installed on the box but not too hard. The final one is Samba Console from
Idealx, this looks really nice takes a bit of configuration but does work.

I'm about to build a Samba / LDAP server for our College and I think I'm
going to use a combination of Webmin & LAM, idealx is nice but I'm going to
have to have a play with it before I let it loss with the other admins.

Brian