[K12OSN] Squid / SquidGuard architecture

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Wed Apr 27 14:21:14 UTC 2005

bear2bar at netscape.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK I know this may yet be another dumb question but ...
>
> Since the lab "lost" its DansGuardian system (School reappropriation ^ redeployment of equipment) I've had ongoing problems getting Squid & squidguard working.
> So here goes..
> 1) Should this setup on a single server or two ?

Single. squidGuard is called by squid as a service. It is also very
lightweight and while you may be able to hack up some way to run them on
separate boxes any gains you made by having separate hardware for each
process would probably be lost going over the wire to obtain the service
if you had a very busy network.

> 1a) If one how ? I get everything blocked or nothing

You're kind of asking these questions in a vacuum. How do you have it
set up now? Which distro? Which version of squid? What kind of network
setup? Config files... etc. etc.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us

Microsoft model for lawn care: Provide free mowing until the other
lawn services go under, then create a license agreement that says
Microsoft owns the dirt and grass but it's up to you to get rid
of the weeds. And don't try to plant apple trees -- the soil is
incompatible...
     -Bryce A.