[K12OSN] [reposted] yum OR apt - which?

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Thu Apr 28 13:46:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 06:25 -0700, Rob Owens wrote:
> I've often wondered why there are so many of these
> package installers.  Seems to me that apt came first,
> only to be duplicated by yum, up2date, urpmi, etc.

-snip-

EXACTLY!  That's kinda' what's got me confused over time.  I mean, you
are advised in some quarters to get yum by invoking "apt install yum" -
what the ...?  Is that what you call recursive package management? ;-)

Anyway, as I said in my original post (and like many other users I
guess), I started out using and loving apt, but nowadays have followed
others (notably, Eric as the maintainer) towards yum.  Richard commented
that yum was a "fedora thing", so that's probably why it's become more
prevalent among users on this list.

Still canvassing for opinions, and thanks to those that have proffered
their experiences and opinions so far.

--
Regards,
        Gavin Chester