[K12OSN] Modelines

The recent thread about modelines triggered this question, but I didn't want to hijack that thread, so here's a new one. On a number of my older PCs that I'm using as clients the 1024x768 screen resolution works, but is so small as to be almost unreadable. I can switch to a lower resolution, such as 800x600, but the desktop size doesn't change. Meaning that the user has to scroll around to see a 1024x768 desktop on an 800x600 monitor. Is there a way to dynamically resize the entire desktop environment automatically? Does that even make sense?

C-ya,
Mark
____
Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.