[K12OSN] How Do I Go BACK to RedHat 8 from Fedora Core 3?

Ben Nickell twinprism at athena.physics.isu.edu
Thu Apr 28 22:04:37 UTC 2005

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>>Boot with a W98 setup CD and start with cd access.
>>
>>run fdisk /mbr.
>>

>Shouldn't that be boot with a Linux Rescue disk or something?
>
>Like being taken to the hospital by the person that shot you :-)

In Doug's defense, fdisk /mbr is a quick and easy way to wipe out the
MBR, without regard for any Linux installations which may be there.
After you do that you'll need the Linux rescue disk or to run the
installer from scratch.

The Linux rescue disk equivalent to zero the MBR is harder to remember,
but is more likely to work.

Make sure you have the right hard drive, and run:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

More fun ways to trash your MBR here:
http://linuxgazette.net/issue63/okopnik.html

HTH,
Ben