[K12OSN] LDAP login nightmare

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Wed Aug 3 20:06:18 UTC 2005

I have setup an LDAP server using Matt's (and David's) scripts.  I can add users, and my XP systems can join the domain.  BUT .... I can't login using any of the LDAP accounts on any system, including the Linux system.  Running su USERNAME as root returns unknown user.  So, something in the authentication isn't working, but I have no idea what it might be.  I have checked authconfig and the system is set to use LDAP for authentication.  I can login on the XP systems using either root or administrator (which is defined in the smbusers file).

Also, ls -l on /home shows the numeric id's, not the username or group names for all the accounts.  e.g. juser is user id 510, group is Domain Users, gid 513.  The directory is listed as
510 513 juser , not juser Domain Users juser.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  It has to be some simple config setting, but I am not finding it.

Thanks,
Dave Hopkins