[K12OSN] LDAP login nightmare

Dave Hopkins dahopkins at comcast.net
Thu Aug 4 22:52:27 UTC 2005

Mark Gumprecht wrote:

>dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:
>

>>I had a working Samba/LDAP (based on Samba 2.2.x) with ACL's already in place and cut/pasted them onto my slapd.conf file since this was supposed to be a simple move to Samba 3 (simple, yea?).  This is part of the problem apparently.
>>

>I remember reading somewhere that there was a change to the samba.schema
>between 2.2 and 3.X, Could cause some issues
>

>>It may have something to do with SELinux in Fedora core 4. However, the nscd still has me a little confused, but ... since my understanding is that this just speeds up the search, it isn't going to kill me at present.
>>

>I could not get SE linux to play nicely at all, even in warn setting
>
>Mark

The issue isn't related to Samba 2.2 vs 3.x, although the new samba
schema has caused issues with trying to use Webmin to manage the
directory.  I have a complete new install (thanks to David and Matt).
It is something to do with permissions in slapd.conf and a possible
issue with SE Linux and nscd.  For now, I removed any explicit attempts
at setting acls in slapd.conf and disabled nscd.  So ... it works, and I
will troubleshoot it further as time permits.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins