[K12OSN] root script query

Mike Heins k12osn at perusion.com
Wed Aug 10 13:20:46 UTC 2005

Quoting Alan A Hodson (ahodson at elp.rr.com):
> Gretings
>
> To help control senior moments and distracted local users, how
> difficult would it be to develop a script that logs root out of the
> system after say three hours of inactivity? I imagine many processes
> run as root, but if keyboard activity can be isolated, maybe the
> script can monitor that and just log out, no?

xscreensaver in screen lock mode is the usual method. It doesn't log you
out, but it protects you from people coming in and having their way with
your system.

Bash and tcsh both have an Autologout parameter, but I don't think
you can measure things right with regard to X. Obviously if you were
running on a shell-based console you could use that.

Perhaps someone knows a way to get xscreensaver to log you out after
a longer period of time (i.e. like turning off the display).

--
Mike Heins

Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon