[K12OSN] LTSP takes 'Best of Show' award at Linux World

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Aug 11 13:09:02 UTC 2005

> We were nominiated for both 'Best Integration Solution' and
> 'Best Open Source Solution'.  When both of those awards went
> to other projects, we kind of figured it was over, and we
> just wanted to get out of the room. But, we stayed till the
> end of the session, and the very last award given was the
> 'Best of Show' award.  Never did we expect to receive such an
> award, but low and behold, they announced that by unanamous
> decision, the LTSP project had been chosen for Best of Show.

Awesome!  I knew I was following this project for a reason.  You know
you always feel that your own projects are worthwhile, but receiving an
award like this gives you an unbiased opinion.  Congratulations.  And to
be nominated for Best Integration Solution and Best Open Source Solution
is an acheivement in itself!  This project is great.

And not to pat ourselves on the back, but the community definitely makes
a difference.  I have looked at a ton of open source projects over the
last 5 years I have followed Linux.  But I have not once seen any
project that has such good open involvement from its community members.
No person who joins these mailing lists is ever turned down for being a
newbee or for asking a "stupid" question.  Many other forums quickly
scold you and tell you to move on.  Also when working at the LTSP booth
at Linux World Boston, I noticed that it was the only booth with a large
group of community members helping out.  Those things make this a very
attractive project.

And of course, you also have the fact that this is an awesome
idea/project.  Its usefullness not only covers education but all the way
to corporations.  There are a multitude of uses.

So without going on too much, excellent job.  Jim, you've earned it!  Go
ahead and take the next two days off :-)