[K12OSN] OT: Conferences in Midwest

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sat Aug 13 06:54:17 UTC 2005

To take this whole thing up a notch if you wish....we could duplicate what
Matt Oquist and I did this year (this was actually the third year) with
the Northeast Linux Symposium at Gould Academy in Bethel Maine this past
June.  http://www.nelinux.net   We had about 80 people mostly from Maine
and NH, but we had folks from as far south as Florida, as far west as
California, and some from Canada.  Maddog Hall was there as well as Jim
McQuillan.  It was 3 days of Linux learning and "networking" with others.
We stayed on campus in the dorms...ate awesome meals in the dining hall
and had a heck of a time!  We could do something like that in the
Mid-west!  What we'd need is a private school or University (we're looking
for inexpensive housing here...as well as meals) who'd be willing to host
the event (for a fee of course).  We were able to charge only $400 per
attendee which included 3 days of conferences, all meals, and lodging.
Heckuva' deal huh?  Now....granted, we may not be able to keep the cost
the same, but maybe we could come close.  If anyone is willing to head up
looking for a location....I'd be willing to see what we can do to help
organize an event like this for next summer if you'd like.  :-)  Having
done this for three years now...I'd be willing to spearhead the
organization of it.

Also....not that it's much closer, but Matt and I are planning to host a
similar conference in New Hampshire next summer as well along with the
continuation of the original at Gould Academy.