[K12OSN] Tossing around an idea...need some input

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Aug 14 01:36:12 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 11:40, Shawn Powers wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2005, at 12:14 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > I think the simple approach is to let each server run it's own DHCP
> > server with non-overlapping ranges.
>
> Is it possible to have a file "included" in dhcpd.conf ?  I ask,
> because I have a lot of static DHCP addresses that need to be
> identical on all my servers.  If I could have a file specifying
> static maps, and include it into the individual server's conf files,
> it would save a lot of copy/pasting.
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes:

include "filename";
will do what you expect.
More than you want to know is at: http://www.bind9.net/manuals-dhcp
Note that the involved process for dhcp failover is only for the
case where you need overlapping dynamic ranges - and it is partly
designed to keep giving the same IP address to the same requester
even if one of the dhcp servers goes down.  In the multi-ltsp server
case that really doesn't matter and you really don't want the rest
of the dhcp-provided info to be the same because you need to send
them to a new server.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com