[K12OSN] howto for streaming content -- from NPR

Rita Gibson rgibson57 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 16 12:13:15 UTC 2005

Eric Brown wrote:

 > Hello Rita,
 >
 > I've had to work through this before.  I downloaded the streaming file to
 > the computer, then opened it up in XMMS.  It's not a very elegant
workaround
 > at first, but the upside is that you don't have to open a browser
window and
 > navigate to the website once you've downloaded the streaming file,
you just
 > open the file in XMMS.
 >
 > I've only done this with .pls files, and I think real media files.  While
 > others could speak more knowledgeably on this, I'm not sure if it
would work
 > with windows media streaming.
 >
 > Good luck.

I have found RealPlayer for Linux but haven't tried to download it and
see if it works on ltsp. I would not be opposed to downloading the files
and having them available in a shared file for the students to access.
It would certainly minimize usage on our DSL lines. I don't really know
how to download streaming content. Wow! I feel so old, I'm
streaming-media challenged!

Rita Gibson
RMSELTech