[K12OSN] dual core processor vs. dual processors

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Aug 16 13:30:22 UTC 2005

Has anyone compared the performance of a server running a single dual-core CPU vs. a
dual CPU system?  I think the consensus for some time has been that for a system
properly built to handle several clients, one should use a dual processor system.  But I
wonder how a single dual-core system would compare.  I noticed Pogo Linux is selling a
dual-core Pentium D workstation (that could be used for a terminal server) that costs
$2200 when equipped with 4GB RAM and a pair of 36GB SCSI disks.  Granted, it doesn't
have redundant power supplies and multiple Gbit network ports like their servers.  But
if $ is the paramount factor, would dual-core CPUs be a good compromise?

Petre