[K12OSN] Eureka! DHCP failover/load-balancing for 2 K12LTSP servers!

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Aug 23 21:32:08 UTC 2005

I've done it!  I have managed to get DHCP failover and load-balancing!  I
now have 2 K12LTSP servers and I wanted to get them so they'd split the
load and also be there in case the other one fails.  I've not only done
it....it's easy!  ISC DHCP has a built-in peer-to-peer failover mechanism
so you have two identical DHCP servers on the network (in my case the 2
LTSP boxes....) then they talk to each other sharing their lease
table....AND....they split the load!  It's done by split or hashes....I
have mine set up for about a 50/50 split where quite simply one server
hands out the first address....second hands out the next...etc.  In an
LTSP set up, this means that every other terminal is booting to a
different server...hence the splitting of the load!  I will document and
post ASAP....still have some fine tuning to do, but here at my
school....in this lab.....and elsewhere....it is working!  Wheeeeeee!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org