[K12OSN] TESA client

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Tue Aug 23 23:33:47 UTC 2005

Yeah, still here and still reading the list, though I'm woefully
behind. My son was born August 5th and I'm still on parental leave
and trying to catch back up with the rest of the world! I'm
officially back on Friday (Aug. 26th) and will dig up my TESA stuff
then to clarify these notes. This is just from memory and a quick
peek at their current Linux download.

The stuff I did mostly consisted of edits to the installer and
runtime shell scripts to put the binaries into a shared directory (/
opt/vanguard in my case) and still initialize the profile in each
home directory properly. Please look at:
http://vanguard.vantage.com/vanguard_linux/distro/vanguard-license.txt
and determine on your own if small edits to a couple of shell scripts
constitute a modification the product as described in the license
agreement.

Look at install.sh (http://vanguard.vantage.com/vanguard_linux/distro/
install.sh) to see that the tarball is at:
http://vanguard.vantage.com/vanguard_linux/distro/
vanguard_current.tar.bz2

D/L the tarball, unpack into /opt/vanguard, and edit the /opt/
vanguard/vanguard shell script. Change the paths to the common
directory (/opt/vanguard instead of ~/vanguard).

This doesn't install flash and java (which are part of their
distributed browser, but I've never seen either used in practice.
YMMV. The JVM portion of the installer is disabled in the Linux
version anyhow.) and it also doesn't install shortcuts/menu items for
GNOME/KDE. You also still need to run the CreateProfile and
registration routines for each user (or run them once and copy the
profile out to other users).

sh /opt/vanguard/vanguard_start.sh -CreateProfile vanguard;
sh /opt/vanguard/vanguard_start.sh -P vanguard -chrome \ chrome://
vanguard/content/registration.xul &

This is at the end of the official downloaded install.sh, but with a
different path, of course. I put this into its own shell script (/opt/
vanguard/vanreg.sh) for easy access.

/opt/vanguard/vanguard is the executable (well, a shell script to run
vanguard_start.sh, which then runs vanguard-bin). Hope this is helpful.

--
Dan Young <dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us>
Parkrose School District