[K12OSN] Fl_TeacherTool 0.2 Released

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 08:54:27 UTC 2005

http://www3.telus.net/public/robark/Fl_TeacherTool/
Here is the release notes:
Fl_TeacherTool 0.2
released Dec 24, 2005

New Features:
-Distribute file to users
-Reset VNCreflector menu item (Handy when teachers mistakenly logout of vnc)
-Cleaner column formatting for data
-VNCreflector windows are upgraded from 64 to 256 colours with no slowdown
-Application icon
-Simpler installation procedure
-Fl_TeacherTool is now becomming a part of K12LTSP

Bug fixes:
-running applications for users was sending the wrong home path. Thanks Eric H.
-VNCreflector button sometimes needed two clicks to start for all selected users
-Messages would not be sent properly with certain characters
-Messages sometimes failed to be sent
-Removed pause hack for logging off users

Requested Features:
Although multiple server support has been requested by some people,
I have not added it. Here are my reasons

1. I discovered it would require an almost complete rewrite of my code
2. vncreflector (a very popular feature) would not work at the remote site
   since by default most K12LTSP servers have a firewall on eth1, not
to mention
   the xhost issue gets more complicated.
3. I don't have enough time to do it. See my wife for confirmation.

-There is a simple work around for 2 servers. Just install the freenx server
on the remote server with yum and install the nx client from
http://www.nomachine.com on the local server. Then run Fl_TeacherTool remotely
through an NX session. Oh yah you will have to setup ssh keys. Here is a
good site. http://www.arches.uga.edu/~pkeck/ssh/
Just make sure you request encryption on the client so nx tunnels
through ssh. It is
very easy to open up ssh on eth1 with system-config-securitylevel.
Yes, I know, you will have two Fl_TeacherTool windows to manage but that's
not so bad. I welcome any developers who have FLTK experience to contribute.

--
Robert Arkiletian