[K12OSN] upgrade troubles (4.0.1 to 4.2)...xorg issue? possible kernel issue?

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Fri Feb 4 19:25:19 UTC 2005

Hi,
I just performed the upgrade from 4.0.1 to FC3 based 4.2
And I can't get X up.
When going through graphical boot, it gets to the part where X should
come up, and I hear the monitor click, and then
nothing...Just a blank screen.  For a long time.
I signed into a terminal and brought up /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or wherever
it is), and it looks fine to me.
Looks the same as my old XFree86 configs, anyway, as far as monitor,
video card, video settings.
But when I tried /user/X11/bin/startx (or wherever it was that I found
startx)
I get something about a missing command, "xauth".
I've never used anything but XFree86, so Xorg is new to me.

Also, I suppose this might be noteworthy, while booting I keep getting a
msg about not finding
/lib/modules/blah blah blah, something about the kernel (which wasn't
updated, still 2.4.22).
I don' recall off hadn if it was kernel-2.4.22nptl./lib/modules  or
/lib/modules/kernel-2.4.22nptl
I did read the release notes about updating the kernel, which I would
do, if I could get in.
I'm presently only able to access the internet now because of the xtra
drive I just installed XP on.

I've considered starting over and doing a fresh install, since I jsut
backed almost everything up, but I didn't backup
*everything*, and don't want to have to reconfigure stuff like mount for
my camera, and lose all my saved passwords and bookmarks
from moz, and the few other headaches I would have to deal with.    I
mean, 90% of my important data, photographs, etc., are all backed up.
Don't know if a fresh install would make any difference at this
juncture, anyway.
I do have a Suse 8.2 Pro box sitting here, too....Hmmm...

Oh, and as if that weren't enough.  One more issue:  When I boot, kudzu
keeps telling me that the printer has been removed from the system
(hp deskjet5550, usb), but it hasn't been.  It's on, plugged in,
connected, etc.

Perhaps I should start separate threads for these possibly separate
issues?  Not sure how they could be related, except that they are all
a result of my attempt at upgrade.

tony
http://www.school-library.net