[K12OSN] updating kernel from FC3 to FC3smp lost partitions

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Feb 7 14:02:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 05:59, Rob Owens wrote:
> Are you sure that the partitions are gone?  Perhaps they
> are still there, but a /home *directory* was created and
> your home partition no longer has a mount point.  I have
> no idea why this would happen as a result of updating the
> kernel, though.

The only scenario I can even imagine where a kernel update would
change your apparent partitioning would be if you were previously
configured with a multi-boot setup and the grub.conf update
erroneously activated the wrong one.  Even this seems pretty
unlikely and it wouldn't change the partitions as seen by fdisk
- but it could pick a different root partition containing a
different /etc/fstab to mount them.

Try 'fdisk -l' to see if the right number of partitions are
still out there.  Then look at /etc/grub.conf (which should be
a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf and the same across multiple
instances but check that too).  If you have multiple boot
choices, do they have different root partitions?

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com