[K12OSN] Changing User Passwords & NFS mounted /home directory

richard ingalls aslansreturn at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 19:26:29 UTC 2005

I want to pass the responsibility of passwords on to
the students (5th-8th graders).  Presently, I assign
them a password when I create their account.  Then
give a copy of the password list to the teachers who
have k12LTSP labs in their rooms (4 labs).  Kids don't
memorize their passwords and the teacher allow the
list to circulate and get "lost".  So password
security is compromised and I want to tell the LTSP
box to force the users to create their own new
passwords...   That may sound easy enough, but here is
another twist.

Three of my linux servers get their /home directory
via NFS from the "main" server.  What would be the
best way of having passwords changed every so often
(quarterly?)?

I'm open to suggestions.  Thanks!