[K12OSN] Wine, IE6 and Java

Luis Montes luis.montes at cox.net
Tue Feb 8 04:05:56 UTC 2005

Mark Cockrell wrote:

>> Why, in the name of God, would you ever run that
>>
>>> insecure POS on a Linux system?  Seriously.  Just get Firefox
>>> working before
>>> someone hacks your system.
>>>

> Yeah, that's exactly the kind of "Microsoft is evil" stuff I was
> hoping to avoid.

All bashing aside,  why  would you use IE for a web-app that uses Java?
Does the app specifically require the MS jvm?
The MS jvm is a derivitave of the old 1.14 jvm from 7 years ago.

There have been huge leaps in java in that time, and most browsers on
Linux have supported newer virtual machines for several years.

It seems a little odd to emulate a browser to run an app that runs
bytecode in a virtual machine in protected memory.

Luis