[K12OSN] Re: RE: RE: smbldap-installer v. 1.2-gamma - gnome login problem

Matt Oquist moquist-k12osn at majen.net
Wed Feb 9 15:34:58 UTC 2005

> From: "Christopher K. Johnson" <ckjohnson at gwi.net>

> Is the user's home initialized with files from /etc/skel?
[root at ltsp ~]# diff /etc/skel/ /home/tcat/
Common subdirectories: /etc/skel/Desktop and /home/tcat/Desktop
Only in /home/tcat/: .dmrc
Common subdirectories: /etc/skel/.kde and /home/tcat/.kde
[root at ltsp ~]#

> Is there an entry for the user in /etc/passwd that still has /bin/false
> as the shell?
/etc/passwd doesn't know anything about LDAP users.

> Looking in /etc/nsswitch.conf what do the passwd, shadow, and group
> lines look like?
/etc/nsswitch.conf:
passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap

> From: "Brian Chivers" <brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk>
> > Once I've done those things I'll move the file to
> > "smbldap-installer-1.2.tgz" and I'll send out another email.
> >
> > --matt
>
> I presume we can still override the default shell in the useradd-bulk script
> like we spoke about the other day ?

Yep.  We just decided that /bin/false wasn't a very good default for
most users.

--matt