[K12OSN] Making K12LTSP

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Wed Feb 9 19:32:59 UTC 2005

Maybe the answer is to develop GPL'd software to replace Reader Rabbit and all the other hot titles that I keep hearing about.  I see a lot of people on this list asking for Linux replacement to these programs.  Maybe some of those same people have programming skills and/or know someone who does.  And if there are no programming skills in that group of people, maybe you all should consider setting up a fund and paying an experienced developer to write the software for you.

I saw a developer's site that operated on a neat concept.  He called it "ransom".  The deal was, he was working on developing GPL software, but he wouldn't make releases until he collected a certain amount in donations--he was holding the new releases for ransom.  I wish I could remember the name of the site / software title.  Anyway, if lots of donations came in, he would put extra time into writing code.  If donations slowed down, he'd work on other projects that paid better.  I'm just mentioning it in case anybody needs some ideas on how to pay a developer to write software which will be freely available to anyone around the world.

-Rob