[K12OSN] Move users and home from existing server to new LDAP server

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Feb 10 00:28:53 UTC 2005

> I've actually done this....what I did was create my user accounts on
> my Samba/LDAP server.....then I moved the homedirs....then I reran
> the user script to fix permissions on the folders.  The usernames
> must be exactly the same though.

So you are saying that as long as the usernames I import into the new LDAP
server match the usernames of the current server, exactly, I could just copy
the current /home to the new /home and rerun the smbldap-installer and that
will automatically assign proper privileges to the folders?  Cool!

What do you recommend as the best way to move the folders from the
existing /home to the new one?  I was thinking tar from past suggestions I
have seen.  What would be the proper syntax to tar /home?

I have not ran the bulk add script yet, what is the proper file format for
this?  Or is this specified in a readme inside the tar.gz file?  I suppose I
should download it and check out huh?

The only catch I could see here are service specific users like the postfix
user and so on.  I should probably export users from the current server to
be sure they are included as well.  Running the smbldap-installer shouldn't
affect these users, right?

Lastly, once the users and directories have been migrated, what is the best
way to switch my current server to authenticating against LDAP and not grap
from local users?

Thanks for all your help with this.