[K12OSN] (no subject)

Matt Oquist moquist-k12osn at majen.net
Fri Feb 18 05:22:30 UTC 2005

> From: "David Trask" <dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us>
> I find the easiest way is to do NFS installs.  You need to make sure nfs

I agree.  I think NFS is more straightforward than the HTTP and FTP
options.  Any of these network installation methods should work fine
for a class of 50, let alone 14.  Of course, that depends on the speed
of your network and how fast you want them to finish.  :)

>  /images    then enter something like the following line to /etc/exports
> /images 10.0.0.234/255.255.240.0(rw,insecure,sync,no_root_squash)

I'd definitely recommend "ro" instead of "rw", because no NFS client
should *ever* need to write anything to your images directory, and
"rw" just opens up the possiblity of corrupting something by accident.

> then...either reboot or run   exportfs -av

Also note that 'exportfs' by itself will tell you what NFS exports you
currently have on your server.  Here's my server at home:
socrates ~ $ exportfs
/var/cache/apt/archives
                10.0.0.0/8
/export/distros/ltsp
                10.0.0.0/8
/export/distros/fc3
                10.0.0.0/8
/export/music   10.0.0.0/8
/export/home    10.0.0.0/8
/export/dl      10.0.0.0/8

> to get the ISO files into the directory....example   mkdir
> /images/k12ltsp42   then simply cd to /images/k12ltsp42 and and run   wget
> ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.2.0/iso/*   (or something like
> that)

Interesting; I didn't realize you could just put the ISOs in the
directory.  I thought you had to copy all the actual files off the
ISOs and into the exported directory...I think it used to be that way,
and I guess I've been doing it the "hard way" ever since way back
when.  :)

--matt