[K12OSN] Open Source equivalent to MS Movie Maker?

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 11:07:22 UTC 2005

In my experience, Kino is pretty good.  But on my
system at least, I wish there were more export
options.  It'll do mpeg, but I have codecs for Xvid,
DivX, and some others that don't show up in Kino's
choices.  I haven't really looked into fixing that, so
it may be something really simple.  Kino lets you do
the video capture from your firewire port.

Anyway, I also use Avidemux, which automatically gives
me the option of exporting with those other codecs
that I installed separately.  Avidemux doesn't do
transitions, as far as I know, just cuts.

I've found that these two combined give me all the
options I need to make decent view-on-the-computer
videos.  What I haven't found yet is a good gui dvd
authoring tool that works on my system.

-Rob