[K12OSN] What antivirus software is being used on K12

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 11:29:43 UTC 2005

I believe Linspire sells an antivirus package for
Linux.  I'm not sure if it will run only on Linspire,
though.  I believe it is not needed, but Linspire
offers it because their marketing studies showed that
former Microsoft users were not willing to use an
operating system that does not have an antivirus
package.  They sell it for money because it costs them
to subscribe to the virus database.

But again, I don't think it's needed due to the
reasons Eric Brown stated.  Just make sure you use a
firewall.

That said, I would like to have a utility similar to
Sygate Personal Firewall for Windows which alerts you
anytime a program tries to access the internet.  Is
there such a thing for Linux?  Sygate Personal
Firewall would stop the traffic, ask me if it's ok to
proceed, and tell me which program was trying to
connect to what website/ipaddress.

-Rob