[K12OSN] Have static IP - now how to setup intranet access?

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Thu Feb 24 10:51:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 12:30, Debbie Schiel wrote:
> What I do know is how to assign a new IP address to our existing domain name.
> But when I type in this new IP into my browser, how do I get it to go to our
> local k12/apache server (http://10.0.0.1/) in Biloela? (The main reason for
> wanting this, besides being able to host our own website, is that teachers want
> to be able to access our intranet from home)

On assumption that you are using two network cards..assign the second card an IP address in the same IP pool as your routers internal IP number. And then point to your router's IP as you gateway IP. Use "neat" GUI tool and edit the second NIC's entry for this.
You will have to use your routers setup to do Fixed IP to Internal gateway IP translation...that is set up NAT on router.
If there no router then you can plug the broadband wire directly into the k12 box...assuming again that they give ethernet cable or the local box provided by them has ethernet cable connection. In this case set your k12's box second card's IP as the gateway. You can use another pool address than 10.0.0.x say 10.0.1.x in this case.

Outside users need to point their machines at the outside (fixed) Ip that you have been assigned.
HTH
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux