[K12OSN] Have static IP - now how to setup intranet access?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Feb 25 03:08:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 20:04, Debbie Schiel wrote:

> I know that 61.9.218.xxx is our static IP
> (PS - I don't know how sensitive this info is - if at all - which is why I've
> replaced the last digits)

If you publish the dns name, anyone can find it anyway.  That's the
other step with the ISP - you should have arranged for them to handle
your DNS and set up some domain name for this address.   Or if you
are part of a larger organization (qld.edu.au)? you might get a hostname
in their domain.

> Under NAT:
> Default server address is 10.0.0.230
> (Is this what I need to change? I don't know where/what 10.0.0.230 is.)

This should be the eth1 address of your server.  Any new inbound
connections should be forwarded to this address and you want them
to go to the server.  It doesn't matter whether you change the
value on the router or the server, just so they match.  Note that your
one public IP address belongs to the router itself, not the server.

> TERMINAL & FILE SERVER & INTRANET --------------------------
> K12ltsp box @ 10.0.0.1 used as file server (thanks to samba) & thin client
> server & apache server (Our Intranet)
>
> Now as for changing settings etc... If that needs to be done on either of the
> k12 boxes I use webmin, or follow step by step instructions on command prompt.
> I couldn't find a port forwarding section on the router's GUI. Went to webmin's
> networking section and am not sure what to do here either (if anything).

Your gif shows 2 NICs on the server but not the 2nd IP address.  I hope
you are using the default 192.168.1.254 on the inside.

> Yes, you're working with a dumb-nut, but a persistent one who has solved techie
> problems in the past and is sure she'll get this one figured out too. With some
> (understatement) help of course...

There are 2 more slightly odd things to deal with.  If you only have one
web site on the machine you can let http bind to port 80 on all
interfaces and respond the same regardless of the name in the URL.  This
is the default setup and the easiest to use.  However, if you need more
than one you'll need to use named virtual hosts to identify them and
have all the names point to the same IP address in DNS.  The other thing
is that many routers will only perform the inbound NAT translation on
connections that come from outside.  That is, if your k12ltsp server or
clients on the inside network resolve the site name to the public
address and send the packet to the router, it probably won't NAT it back
the same way as if it came from the outside.  That means you either have
to use a different name internally (and be careful not to use absolute
references in links, which is a good idea anyway) or arrange for DNS to
return a different IP internally than the rest of the world sees.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com