[K12OSN] Logging into windows XP machines using same login as K12LTSP

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Mon Feb 28 00:50:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 06:03 +1300, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
>Issues:
>1. How do I set up user accounts for both WinXP and K12LTSP without having
>to manually enter them twice?

As David mentioned, domain logons w/ samba will do this. Also, you could
look at pGina (http://pgina.xpasystems.com) and its associated plugins
(LDAP, PAM, etc.) Its GPL'ed.

>2. When I map the homes directory using Samba, will all the .directories be
>visible. If so how do I hide them? (When I accessed my home directory from
>my WinXP laptop I had this problem but I think it is because the file
>manager is set to "Show hidden files."

I think the Samba parameter is "hide dot files = yes" or something like
that.

>4. Will I need to use roaming profiles to map the "my documents" share?

You don't _have_ to. I just change the default user profile to point My
Documents to H: or whatever maps to home. Just right-click on My Docs,
and put in the correct path.

>3. Will I have to set up the network as a domain now, or will it still be
>okay to use a workgroup as it is now? Which is better for this purpose?

Domain logins are more seamless, but pGina and some jiggering w/ the
default user profile doesn't work to badly.

>Notes:
>1. I am running K12LTSP with only one NIC. It seems to make samba easier to
>use. I had a lot of problems trying to get it to work properly when I was
>using 2 NICs. All the computers at the school are on the same subnet.

Samba should let you specify which network addresses it will use. I
haven't had problems using samba on dual-homed K12LTSP servers.

--
Dan Young <dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us>