[K12OSN] SquidGuard and Proxy Questions

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue Jan 4 14:17:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 08:40, Timothy Legge wrote:
> Yes, that was one of the options but I will probably
> just use an IPCOP/SquidGuard combination if I can work
> out how to block google's safe search off option.

Use squidGuard url rewriting for this. Eric modified SG to do this seems
like back around the 3.1.x days (you can also rewrite urls for other
search engines to force them to use google and thereby safesearch). Last
I looked there were examples in the k12ltsp SG config file. There is
also support in SG to block users from accessing sites directly by ip
instead of name (ie. do an nslookup of badporn.com and access by ip
instead of typing badporn.com as the url) but it isn't enabled by
default in the k12ltsp squidGuard releases (not a big deal as all it
takes is !in-addr in the acl's). This is important because squidGuard
doesn't do a reverse lookup to check for blocked sites when the user
directly types an ip address instead of a url in a browser. squidGuard
was designed to be very lightweight and fast - reverse lookups would
slow SG down significantly.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us

Many today claim to be tolerant. True tolerance, however, can cope
with others being intolerant.
    -Nigel Cunningham